8.13.2010

Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayo

Dave and I are having somewhat of a Japanese food weekend. We were hoping to have everything on the same day, but there is a lot of prep involved. So we'll start off with what we made last night for dinner, sushi.

My friend Andrea helped me maneuver the Asian market, and was able to tell me what the mysterious items were that had no English on the packaging. Thank goodness she was with me! I got the sashimi (raw fish), rice, cucumbers, and nori wrappers (seaweed) for the sushi. I also picked up sriracha (Thai hot sauce- mine has a rooster on the package) and mayonnaise for the spicy mayo. (Cuke and mayo came from the regular food store).

I cooked the sushi rice according to the package in the rice cooker: 1 1/c rice for 2 c water. I think next time I'll add a tad more water to make the rice more tender. While that was cooking, I prepared the vinegar mixture:
1/8 c rice wine vinegar
1/8 c sugar
1 tsp salt
Directions:
Heat ingredients in sauce pan over medium heat until sugar and salt are dissolved. Do not boil! Remove from heat.

Once the rice was done, I added the vinegar mixture, until very well combined. I let a fan blow on it to let it cool, but you could probably also put it in the fridge.
Sadly, I didn't take any pics of the rolling process, but it was actually pretty easy. I put the nori on the rolling mat, and added some water to soften it (not sure if that is how you are supposed to do it, but it worked). Next I added a thin layer of rice to the lower 2/3 of the seaweed, and then a row of cucumber strips and raw fish. I used my mat to roll it tightly, then added a bit more water to seal the edge. I cut each into 6 even sections.

The first one was really ugly (Dave ate that), but here is a pic of the 2nd two I made using tuna:

----Thanks to Matt and Melissa for the cool sushi plates!----

I was also excited to find cool plastic chopsticks in our utensil drawer. We served the sushi with soy sauce and spicy mayo:

1 tbs mayonnaise
1 tsp sriracha

Directions:
Mix until combined


Overall it was a bit of work, but really tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment