12.21.2010

Double Coconut Macaroons

This is an exciting day! I just received my new computer in the mail- whoohoo!! I am so excited to do my first blog post on it.

This past weekend Dave and I had our friends over for games, crafting, and baking. We try to get together with them about once a month. The gals and I baked while the boys had their video game time. It was great! We each brought a recipe to make and share, and I had found a new (to me) recipe for coconut macaroons. They came out amazing, and I'm excited to share it!

Ingredients:
2 7oz packages sweetened flaked coconut, divided
2/3c (packed) powdered sugar (I did not pack the sugar, and they were still sweet enough in my opinion)
1/4c sweetened cream of coconut
1oz cream cheese, room temperature
3 tbs all purpose flour
1 large egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
12 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (we used semisweet chocolate chips)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Butter and flour the foil, then shake off excess.
2. In food processor, blend 1 package of the coconut with powdered sugar until finely ground and mixture feels moist.
3. In mixer (or food processor if yours is large enough- mine was not), combine coconut/sugar mixture with cream of coconut, cream cheese, flour, egg white, vanilla, and salt. This final mixture will be soft and loose.
4. Place remaining bag of flaked coconut in a bowl or pie plate. Drop heaping tablespoonful of mixture into the coconut and roll to coat completely. Using palms of hands, gently roll into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place on prepared baking sheet. (Makes about 15 large cookies)
5. Bake the macaroons until golden brown and just firm to touch, about 35 min (mine took 30). Cool cookies completely on rack.
6. Melt chocolate, and dip bottom 1/2 inch of each cookie into the chocolate, then place on waxed paper. Repeat, and refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 30 min.


The other cookie on the plate above is the recipe Leah brought for Chocolate Crinkle cookies- also amazing! The recipe is here.

Macaroon recipe from the Bon Appetit Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment