12.20.2012

Salted Caramels (in the microwave)

I've only tried to make caramels once before, and it didn't go very well.  So imagine how excited I was when I heard of a "fool-proof" method using the microwave!  They didn't set as well as I would have liked, but the are creamy, chewy, and tasty.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
coarse sea salt

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 7 minutes, stirring every two minutes. (time may vary with each microwave.)  
  2. Pour mixture into a generously greased 8 inch square baking dish. (I lined the bottom with parchment paper). Sprinkle sea salt over the top while it’s still sticky. (I sprinkled a bit too early, so most of the crystals sank in).  
  3. Let cool in the fridge for 45 minutes or until hardened.  
  4. Peel out of the pan and place on a sheet of wax paper.  Slice into pieces with a buttered knife and place on a plate (keep them separate) or wrap in small pieces of wax paper.
Recipe from Make It  Love It

No comments:

Post a Comment