7.20.2012

Overnight Oats with Chia


 Another recipe!

I have seen a bunch of overnight oat recipes floating around the web, and decided to try to make a batch of my own!  I hit a little snag, but I think next time I make them it will be perfect!  This was also my first time using chia seeds- I love them!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oats (I used old-fashioned)
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but any milk would work
fruit (use fresh!!  I used frozen strawberries, and I regret it! see below....)
1/2 tbs chia seeds
large dash of cinnamon
if you like sweet oatmeal (I don't), you might want to add some sugar or agave

Directions:
1. Place everything into a container- a jar or plastic container would be perfect, and stir.
2. Leave in the fridge overnight.

Wow! A recipe with only 2 steps...love that!  The oats got soft and the chia seeds plumped up- they kinda reminded me of tapioca or those balls that come in asian bubble tea. Such a fun texture for my breakfast!

Now the snag....
I used frozen strawberries, forgetting to take into consideration that they would add water to the oatmeal as they thawed.  When I took it out of the fridge this morning, I was left with this horrific sight:

EEk! It was a watery mess.  I tilted the container to drain off most of the water, and all was well again:

Yum!  I can't wait to try other flavor combos! 
(note: other recipes I found online also said to add greek yogurt. not sure how I feel about that...)

Calories: 146
Fat: 6g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 91mg
Carbs: 23g
Fiber: 8g
Protien: 5g
Sugars: 4g


No comments:

Post a Comment