3.28.2012

Fudge Babies

Fudge babies?  Why in the world is the post called "fudge babies?"  Well, that's what Chocolate Covered Katie calls them.  So, I went with it. (by the way...check out her blog.  There are at least 2 other healthy desserts on her blog that I've tried and were awesome, so I'll feature them here the next time I make them).

These are sweet and chocolately with no added sugar.  A great snack...kind of like a rich brownie or chocolate truffle. 

Ingredients:
1 c walnuts (120 grams)- I used 1/2 c of unsweetened coconut and 1/2 c of peanuts instead
1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (230 grams)
1 tsp vanilla extract
optional: a pinch of salt
3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder (or even Special Dark cocoa), depending on how chocolatey you want the balls to taste

Directions:
1.  Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc.  When I mix mine, it smells a little funny.  If this happens- don't worry!  Keep blending until the mixture looks moist.
2.  Roll into little ball, or shape the dough into bars (that's what I did)


That's it!

Here's the nutritional info using my adaptation, based on 14 servings per batch (they are small....truffle-sized).
Calories: 71
Fat: 3.8
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 5mg
Carbs: 9.2g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 1.4g
Sugars: 6.3g

Can I label these as "healthy?"  Not sure, since they do have sugar and fat...but it's the good kind :)  Having one is fine, but as with any snack, you can't indulge in too many! 

Recipe from: Chocolate Covered Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment